Sunday, February 17, 2008

Australia Flashback...


Hey everyone! I wanted to start a blog where I could post pictures and stories from all my adventures so that they'd be easily accessible. I am going from working 60 hours a week to 20 starting in a couple of weeks, and with that decrease in hours comes an increase in my travels! I plan on taking some smaller US trips in March, and then a 3 week trip to Egypt in April. Now you can all see what I'm up to by following this blog...

That being said, let me recap a major trip from last year.


I know there are several people who never actually saw my photos from Australia. I went in the fall of 2007 from September 20th to October 5th. It was an amazing trip, where I finally got to visit my friend Nicola, who I have been wanting to visit for several years. I flew into Sydney, where we stayed with Nicola's boyfriend's brother, Manu. He lives right near Australia's famous Bondi Beach, where we unfortunately didn't spend much time, due to the weather. However, there were a few nice days, and I was able to get some good pictures. The photo at the top of this page is Bondi Beach on a semi-stormy day. There were still plenty of surfers out (all the hard-core ones), as there always are in Australia.


Bondi Beach on our last day in Sydney (and the nicest day, of course!)

The Sydney Opera House!


Me and Nicola


Beautiful Sydney Harbor

So, after 3 days in Sydney, Nicola, her boyfriend Tia, and I began our road trip to the Gold Coast, where they both live. We spent our first night in a little coastal town called Port McQuarrie, where we played pool with some locals, had some dinner, and tried to sleep in the van in a loud parking lot on the beach where a "party bus" was also parked for the night...



This ship was in the harbor near the tavern where we played pool.
This is what we woke up to! We played in the water for awhile, and then continued on our way to Angourie, in the fishing town of Yamba. There we met up with some of Tia's friends, one of whose mom hosted us in her huge rental house for four gorgeous days. It was amazing! In the mornings we would go to the beach and play/surf, come home to a huge homemade breakfast, then play some games before going back to the beach. Lots of drinking, eating, and indulgences with lots of good people.


This photo was taken on the first night in Angourie, before the rest of the people came to the house to stay with us.


Looking down on one of the beaches we frequented


Nicola jumping from a high rock wall


We fed a lot of kookaburras!


This possum was hanging out on our deck one night. Australian possums are much cuter than their American counterparts...

After 4 days in the sun, we continued on our way up to the Gold Coast, stopping to take pics at Lenox Head. We also stopped at Byron Bay and ate sorbet. Mmmm...

The rest of the trip was spent on the Gold Coast, at either Nicola's or Tia's mom's apartment, in the Broadbeach district. The days were full of surfing, tennis, games, bowling, partying, and relaxing. Life is much more laid-back in Australia, and I really embraced that lifestyle while I was there.


I'm on a Steve Irwin ride in the mall :)


The view from Tia's mom's apartment in Broadbeach


A late night on the Gold Coast...


We went hiking at this waterfall one day


Feeding/petting kangaroos at a wildlife refuge!!


Yes, I did get to hold a koala. It's actually pooping in this picture, no joke!


A sunset at Broadbeach


This is a view of the Gold Coast from the top of a fancy hotel


Tia and Nicola, my gracious hosts!

Going to Australia has always been one of my dreams, so I am thrilled to have been able to go. Next time I go back, I'd like to go during their Spring or Summer, so that it's exceptionally hot.

Hopefully on my future trips I will be able to post photos and stories as I go, so that I don't have to leave out so many great details-- but you get the gist.

Hope you enjoyed this!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hurrah!! i am so glad to see all the photos!!